ECREA 2020 Pre-conference
October 2, 2020
Deadline: June 15, 2020
Despite the special and exceptional situation that we all are facing, it's important to keep our activities in the security of our houses.
Thus, the Organizational and Institutional Communication SOPCOM Working Group and the Advertising SOPCOM Working Group are pleased to invite you to submit your abstract to the ECREA 2020 Pre-conference “Improving public participation through strategic communication”. The event will take place on the 2nd October 2020.
WHY THIS PRE-CONFERENCE?
We are facing an era of a permanent search for new answers to contemporary environmental, political and social challenges. The public, as producer, receiver or user, has today wide access to information and tends to be more involved in communication, being an essential element in this equation.
Moreover, publics are the engine of paradigm changes, as they have the power to influence behaviors, individually or as part of organizations, to whom they demand more conscious behavior. On another hand, acting as citizens, those publics are important agents of change, with a strong ability to influence decision making.
Considering the role of Strategic Communication in this context, not only for organizations but for the whole society, publics must be taken into account as an essential element of its process. Being a strategic function with specific goals to achieve, the stakeholder mapping in Strategic Communication it’s not an abstract part of planning, but a must-have in the whole process. Through Strategic Communication, and its branches of public relations and advertising, it’s possible to improve the publics’ knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors.
In this context, can Strategic Communication be understood as a way to boost public participation, assuming stakeholders as key players in a changing environment?
We particularly welcome submissions on:
- Key concepts, perspectives and frameworks in research on Strategic Communication;
- Innovative methodological approaches to studying Strategic Communication;
- Theoretical or empirical studies about publics/citizens in Strategic Communication;
- Digital challenges in Strategic Communication;
- Measuring the impact of Strategic Communication;
- Redefining the borders of Strategic Communication;
- Collaborative projects in Strategic Communication;
- The future of Strategic Communication.
Deadline for submissions: May 15, 2020.
Submission and selection process: Presentations at the conference are based on abstracts of 500 words, to be submitted by June 15, 2020, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: The abstracts should include main idea/argument, research questions, and key concepts, theoretical and/or methodological discussion and analysis (if relevant). All submitted abstracts must be anonymous with no reference to author(s). Submit the abstract as an e-mail attachment and include name, affiliation and contact details in the e-mail message.
Decisions on acceptance: July 8, 2020 (The abstracts will be subject to anonymous peer review.)
For more information, please visit: http://www.cecs.uminho.pt/en/como-promover-a-participacao-dos-publicos-atraves-da-comunicacao-estrategica/?fbclid=IwAR1DA_590X_becesC9ksBiQu138hkWlp0gdSvH-NIETcwCabBiW2iCcNOmw
- Ana Raposo, Lisbon Polytechnic Institute
- Isidoro Arroyo, King Juan Carlos University
- Ivone Ferreira, Universidade Nova de Lisboa
- Joep Cornelissen, Erasmus University Rotterdam
- José Gabriel Andrade, Minho University
- Lars Thøger Christensen, Copenhagen Business School
- Pedro Hellín, University of Murcia
- Sara Balonas, University of Minho
- Teresa Ruão, University of Minho
- José Gabriel Andrade, University of Minho – email@example.com
- Ivone Ferreira, Universidade Nova de Lisboa – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ana Raposo, Lisbon Polytechnic Institute – email@example.com
- Sara Balonas, University of Minho – firstname.lastname@example.org
The pre-conference is organized by the Organizational and Institutional Communication Sopcom Working Group and the Advertising Sopcom Working Group.
- Communication and Society Research Centre (CECS) of the University of Minho
- NOVA Institute of Communication (ICNOVA) of the Universidade Nova de Lisboa
- Portuguese Association of Communication Sciences (Sopcom).