University of St. Gallen
Research Assistant/ PhD Candidate interested in pursuing a PhD in Organisation Studies and Cultural Theory researching the impact of AI technologies, algorithms and datafication on everyday life working closely with Prof. Barassi on a project titled: The Human Error: AI, Algorithmic Bias and the failure of Digital Profiling.
The envisioned starting date for this 60% position is the 1st of September 2020.
Salary 50’367 CHF per year
The ideal candidate has the following qualifications:
- Excellent grades in a Master degree, preferably in the areas of sociology, anthropology, media studies, information studies, cultural studies or general social sciences
- Interest and passion in the following areas of research: AI technologies, data privacy, data rights, algorithmic bias, AI Ethics
- Interest and passion for qualitative methodologies especially ethnographic methodologies. Prior experience of ethnographic research (e.g. dissertation project) is a strong advantage.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English; fluency in German preferable but not mandatory
- A research assistant at the mcm institute typically completes his or her PhD within three to four years and has the following responsibilities:
- Supporting the chair and the Postdoctoral researcher in The Human Error Project
- Joint research activities, and possibly writing together
- Attending scientific conferences and organizing doctoral events
- Institute - related support
- Occasional teaching support if needed
If you are interested or know of anyone who might be interested please follow this link.