Apply here: https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/189010/phd-position-in-media-studies?fbclid=IwAR12s2Yu7eCqv3cN9VLwjebOnZwWiTL_kKOy-nMfsPCSW3JdIpIlG_Wzd40
There is a vacancy for a PhD position at the Department of Information Science and Media Studies in the field of media studies. The position is a fixed-term period of 4 years and 25% of the time will be dedicated to teaching, supervision and administrative duties at the Department.
This is an open call, and we invite you to relate to one or more of our four relevant research groups:
- Research Group for Media Use and Audience Studies: Research on how people use media - as audiences, users and citizens, and how they relate to each other and to society through media.
- Research Group for Rhetoric, Democracy and Public Culture: Research on communication as a tool for argumentation, assurance, and for the expressions of identity and identification – as individuals, in organizations and in society.
- Journalism Studies Group: A broad approach to the role of journalism, news and the social media in the public sphere.
- Media Aesthetics: Focus on media aesthetic expressions, broadly oriented towards contemporary and historical genres, media technology and forms of interaction.
For more information about the research groups and the Department, see the website of the department: https://www.uib.no/infomedia . Do feel free to contact the leader of relevant research group(s).
A research proposal of 5-8 pages must accompany the application. The proposal should present the topic, the research problem(s) and choice of theory and methods. The proposal should also include a progress plan for the different parts of the project. Admittance to the PhD programme will be based on the research proposal.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a master's degree or the equivalent in media studies, journalism or equivalent
- The degree has to be completed by the application deadline
- The requirements are generally a grade B or better on the Master thesis and for the Master degree in total
- As an applicant you should be able to work independently, have a considerable work capacity as well as an enthusiasm for research
- Profiency in both written and oral English
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to the department for an interview.
About the PhD position:
The duration of the PhD position is 4 years, of which 25 per cent of the time comprises obligatory duties associated with research, teaching and dissemination of results. The employment period for the successful candidate may be reduced if he or she previously has been employed in a PhD position.
About the PhD training: As a PhD research fellow, you will take part in the PhD programme at the Faculty of Social Sciences, UiB. The programme corresponds to a period of three years and leads to the PhD degree. To be eligible for admission you must normally have an educational background corresponding to a master’s degree with a scope of 120 ECTS credits, which builds on a bachelor’s degree with a scope of 180 ECTS credits (normally 2 + 3 years), or an integrated master’s degree with a scope of 300 ECTS credits (5 years). Master’s degrees must normally include an independent work of a minimum of 30 ECTS credits. It is expected that the topic of the master’s degree is connected to the academic field to which you are seeking admission.
We can offer:
- Salary at pay grade 54 upon appointment (Code 1017) on the government salary scale (equivalent to NOK 479.600 per year). Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A cover letter including a brief account of your research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- Preferred research group affiliation
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of them must be the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis
- Project proposal
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees.
- Relevant certificates/references
- A list of academic publications
- Academic publications that you want to submit for assessment (including your master’s thesis or equivalent)
If you have a master's degree from an institution outside of the Nordic countries, or a 2-year discipline- based master's degree (or the equivalent) in a subject area other than the one associated with the application, you may later in the application process be asked to submit an overview of the syllabus for the degree you have completed
Closing date: August 20, 2020. The application has to be marked: 20/6145.
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting: Head of Department, professor Leif Ove Larsen, phone 55 58 41 16, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Practical questions about the application process should be directed to senior executive officer Bodil Hægland, e-mail: email@example.com or phone +47 55 58 90 53Ring: +47 55 58 90 53.
Appointed research fellows will be admitted to the PhD programme at the Faculty of Social Sciences. Questions about the programme may be directed to Adviser-PhD: Hanne.Gravermoen@uib.no.
Applications submitted without a project description or applications sent as e-mails will not be considered. Only submitted documents will be subjected to an expert assessment.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
For further information about the recruitment process, click here.